At the foot of Dobrča, above the settlement of Bistrica pri Tržiču, stands Altgutenberg Castle or "Hudi grad", as the locals call it, on a conglomerate rock outcrop.
- 1 / 9 Altgutenberg
- 2 / 9 Altgutenberg (photo: Majda ...
- 3 / 9 Gutenberg; open wall (photo...
- 4 / 9 Gutenberg from a bird's eye...
- 5 / 9 Gutenberg Days (medieval da...
At the foot of Dobrča, above the settlement of Bistrica pri Tržiču, stands Altgutenberg Castle on a conglomerate rock outcrop. Altgutenberg. Hudi grad, as the locals call it, is first mentioned in written records in 1156 in connection with the name of the knight Alberon of Gutenberg, the founder of the Gutenberg family. In addition to its representative and defensive function, the castle also made it possible to keep watch over the routes that connected Begunje in the Gorenjska region and the Ljubelj Pass. It further represented the westernmost point of the Andechs in Gorenjska, who ruled at the time.
The first direct mention of the castle reaches back to 1330, by which time the Gutenbergs had become vassals of the Ortenburgs, and it became a provincial estate as early as the scond third of the 14th century. In the 15th century Valvasor lists the last owners as being the House of Lamberg. Count Jurij Lamberg had eight children, among them Žiga Lamberg, whom we know as the first bishop of Ljubljana.
The castle was not rebuilt after the 1511 earthquake and the family moved its seat to nearby Glanz Castle. In 1557 the name of Gutenberg was transferred to a new castle with the permission of Ferdinand I. Since that time it has also been referred to as Altgutenberg or Starigutenberg.
The story of the castle lives on in folk tradition in the tale about the cursed castle maid and was also a source of inspiration for the Tržič poet Vojteh Kurnik, who devoted two poems to the castle.
Since 2017 the ruins of the castle have been managed by the culture and arts society Ampus, which with the assistance of the Municipality of Tržič is gradually renovating and breathing new life into the castle.
CONTACT AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Cultural and arts society AMPUS, Podljubelj 151, 4290 Tržič
BOOKING OF GUIDED TOURS
TPIC Tržič, Trg svobode 18, 4290 Tržič
T: 04 59 71 536 / 051 627 057
|SCHOOL GROUPS AND GROUPS OF PENSIONERS UP TO 15 PERSONS||OTHER GROUPS UP TO 12 PERSONS||SCHOOL GROUPS AND GROUPS OF PENSIONERS, price per person||OTHER ORGANIZED GROUPS, price per person|
|67.00 EUR||76.00 EUR||4.50 EUR||6.50 EUR|