Winter mountaineering course
Learn about hazards in the mountains in winter, essential equipment for winter mountaineering and the proper use of protective gear, try to find those buried under an avalanche with the help of beacons, learn how to act in the event of an accident in the mountains, and more.
- 1 / 8 Winter mountaineering course
- 2 / 8 Winter mountaineering course
- 3 / 8 Winter mountaineering course
- 4 / 8 Winter mountaineering course
- 5 / 8 Winter mountaineering course
This two-day course is intended for occasional and regular hikers who would like to safely explore the mountain environment in winter as well.
Saturday 9 January 2021
- 12:00 - meeting of participants at Ljubelj Pass, ascent to Zelenica Mountain Hostel,
- exercises and practical work outdoors in the vicinity of the hostel: preparation of equipment, lectures and preparing to set out into the mountains.
Sunday 10 January 2021
- mountaineering trip in winter conditions (use of equipment, exercises), altogether 4 to 5 hours,
- 14.00 - return to Zelenica Mountain Hostel, lunch and conclusion of the course.
The following topics will be covered by the course:
- overview and demonstration of suitable personal and technical equipment, preparation of equipment, putting on crampons, beacons, etc.,
- mountain hazards in winter (avalanche, cold, poor visibility, orientation, short daylength, falls due to slippery ground, etc.),
- avalanches (avalanche hazard identification, snow blanket strength test, hazard assessment, emergency response, assistance to fellow mountaineers, search and rescue of avalanche victims (use of avalanche beacons, probes and shovels)),
- preparation for the trip, gathering information, selecting a safe route,
- use of ice axe and crampons (when to take an ice axe in hand and when to put on crampons, how to move correctly during ascents and descents),
- ice axe self-arrest during a fall or downhill slip,
- lectures with discussion and examination of equipment, winter conditions in the mountains, accidents,
- discussions and questions regarding different situations.
Required equipment: protective clothing (against cold and damp), sunglasses, winter boots, crampons, ice axe, helmet, avalanche beacon, probe and shovel, ski poles, auxiliary rope. Any missing equipment (crampons, ice axes, beacons, probes, shovels) can also be provided by the organizer, whom you can notify upon registration if you are missing any piece of equipment.
- Price (registration fee) €75.00. Includes: organization and implementation of the course, 1x full board at Zelenica Mountain Hostel.
- Organizer: Guiding section of the Tržič Alpine Club
- Organizational leader: Stanko Koblar – GUC Zelenica
- Technical implementation of the course: Jože Rožič PV PZS IPV, Stanislav Jablanšček PV PZS IPV
- Registration and information: Stanko Koblar, 040 627 808, email@example.com, www.zelenica.info.
- Number of spaces available: 20.