A memorable Jakob Aljaž Christmas
"Why in German?!" the singers resisted. On the very first day, I had drilled into their heads that we would sing mostly Slovenian songs. Since the other choirs in Tržič - Tržič is a very musical town beneath the Karawanks - sang only in German, we sang only in Slovene. But now I was suddenly forcing them to sing a German Christmas carol. (excerpt from Ivan Sivec's book The King of Triglav, which describes the life of Jakob Aljaž)
- 1 / 8 A memorable Jakob Aljaž Christmas
- 2 / 8 View of the Church of St. A...
- 3 / 8 The dragon from the rooster...
- 4 / 8 The atrium of the Tržič Mun...
- 5 / 8 The festively decorated old...
We Slovenes waited for more than half a century for a translation of the world's best loved Christmas carol Silent Night. It was put into Slovene language and sung for the first time on Christmas Eve in Tržič in 1871 thanks to then chaplain Jakob Aljaž.
In honour of this unique event we are preparing a special guided experience for you during the holiday season.
We'll take you through the festively decorated town centre, past the Church of St. Andrew to the oldest house in the centre of town, Kurnik House. Here you will already catch a whiff of the tantalizing smells of Tržič "flike", a characteristic local bread, and Christmas tea. You will learn the secrets of the holiday customs in the Tržič area, and holiday songs and carols will warm your heart. You will learn the story of Christ's birth in the unique Tekec nativity scene, which is one of the most beautiful achievements of folk and religious culture in our country. You will end the experience in the Church of the Annunciation, where we have prepared a special surprise for you.
- 5 December, 12 December, 19 December 2022 and 2 January 2023, at 4 pm.
- Reservations required by 4 pm on the Friday before the event, by email email@example.com or phone 051 627 057.
Duration of the tour: 2 hours
- adults: €14.50
- students, retired, vulnerable groups: €9.90
- preschool children: free
- families (min. 2 adults, 1 child): 20% discount on the regular price