Holiday walks in the heart of the Karawanks
Take a walk through the enchanting snow-covered old town centre of Tržič and discover a festively decorated piece of paradise in the heart of the Karawanks that will transport young and old alike into a magical holiday season. Warm yourself with mulled wine and then follow the decorations, which lead you to the biggest attractions, such as the Tržič Museum, the dragon sculpture and Kurnik House. Joyful music that fills the streets and the cosy shops and cafes will create a winter fairy tale atmosphere.
- 1 / 9 Holiday walks in the heart of the Karawanks
- 2 / 9 Holiday Tržič (photo by Pav...
- 3 / 9 Holiday Tržič (photo by Pav...
- 4 / 9 Holiday Tržič (photo by Pav...
- 5 / 9 Holiday Tržič (photo by Pav...
The holiday walks will take you through Trg Svobode (Freedom Square), Muzejska Street, Partizanska Street, parts of Cankarjeva and Koroška Streets, the atrium of the Tržič Municipality building, the Tržič Museum, Kurnik House and all three bridges over the Tržič Bistrica River.
You can follow the holiday route up until 8 January 2023. This year we have also decorated the area around the renovated Neuhaus Castle.
In order to conserve electricity the Christmas lighting will be switched on every day from dusk to 11 pm.
St. Nicholas lighting
The traditional switching on of the festive lights in the town in the heart of the Karawanks, as some like to call Tržič, will take place on 5 December, on the eve of St. Nicholas Day. After two years of restrictions due to coronavirus, the first real public lighting of the new holiday decorations will begin at 5 pm on Trg svobode with a fairy-tale children's show and a workshop for making holiday decorations. St. Nicholas, an angel, and an occasional naughty child will appear, and possibly even Krampus.
The magical evening will conclude with a performance by singers Alex Volask and Saša Lešnjek and band.
There will be no lack of food and drink at this festive event. Hope to see you there!
Holiday suggestions for aficionados of culture:
- The Tržič Museum has received two Valvasor Awards and is one of Slovenia's best museums. It is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm.
- Tekec Nativity Scene is on view from 25 December to 6 January every day from 9 am to 7 pm. During other times of the year it can be seen by appointment.
- There is always something going on in Tržič. Check the calendar of events to see what's on at https://www.trzic.si/koledar-dogodkov/.
- During the Christmas season the people of the villages of Sebenje, Žiganja Vas and Breg ob Bistrici erect nativity scenes in their yards and gardens. Walk through the villages and try to find all the unique arrangements
Holiday suggestions for enthusiasts of outdoor recreation:
- The ice skating rink in Ravne offers free recreational skating Monday to Friday from 4 pm to 7 pm, and on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and during school holidays from 10 am to noon and 4 pm to 7 pm.
- Enliven a winter ascent to one of the mountain huts with a descent by sled, on a sunny winter day or long evening in the light of a headlamp.
- The Tržič area is also a kingdom for fantastic ski touring – from easy routes suitable for anyone to more challenging ones offering an alpine skiing experience.