Permanent exhibition: The Ljubelj/Mauthausen concentration camp 1943-1945
In the premises of the former military border post, there is a permanent exhibition dedicated to the former Ljubelj concentration camp, which was a subcamp of the Mauthausen main camp.
- 1 / 5 Permanent exhibition: The Ljubelj/Mauthausen concentration camp 1943-1945
- 2 / 5 Ljubelj concentration camp
- 3 / 5 Ljubelj concentration camp
- 4 / 5 Ljubelj concentration camp
- 5 / 5 Ljubelj concentration camp
The main part of the exhibition is dedicated to the former Ljubelj concentration camp and the prisoners who were held there. It thematically presents the system of terror in the camp, the prisoners by nationality and the reasons for their arrest, and the construction of the Ljubelj tunnel. The exhibition presents the management of the camp, the SS unit and the health conditions.
Included is a presentation of civilian workers from the Gorenjska region, among them many locals from Tržič, who were called up through the then labour offices to the civilian camp which stood adjacent to the concentration camp, and housed about 600 people. It was these and other residents of Tržič who helped the prisoners, demonstrated their courage and solidarity, and serve as an example of civic courage even today.
It describes the cessation of the camp and how the former prisoners formed into two brigades, the French Liberté and the Polish Stary. Both joined the Partisans at the end of the war.
The content of the exhibition addresses the question of why it is important nowadays to keep alive the recent history of Ljubelj. A visit to the museum encourages reflection on the past and the future, and the setting of the exhibition actively involves the visitor in the tour, through testimonies, original items, relief models, sound recordings, documentary films and illustrations.
The permanent exhibition of the Ljubelj/Mauthausen concentration camp 1943-1945 is complemented by the memorial park of the former camp, which was declared a monument of national significance in 1999.
ContaCt AND INFORMATION
To arrange a visit contact the Tržič Museum, which is open daily from 10 am to 6 pm.
T: 04 5315 500